Karate & Jiu-Jitsu Program for teens & adults :
Our West Island Karate and Jiu-Jitsu club – Tō-kon Dojo (School with a Fighting Spirit), specializes in two distinctive Martial arts systems:
- The stand-up portion is dedicated to the Shorinjiryu Kenkokan and Koshiki contact Karate fighting systems using protective body and headgear for a safe, realistic fighting approach.
- The ground-fighting portion of our training (Jiu-Jitsu) is dedicated to the Gracie Combative approach as well as a mixture of Judo and submission wrestling. We train both Gi and no-Gi ground fighting.
A typical training session at our club is made up of the following five modules:
- Warm-ups to music and group/partner combative games
- Rolls, break falls, Shrimp moves, etc.
Jiu-Jitsu ground work
- Chokes, arm bars, positional control, etc.
- Transitions and combination of techniques for ground fighting
- Three (3) ground fights/grappling matches with a partner
Koshiki Contact Karate training with protective body & headgear
- Escape & counter, combinations, etc.
- Stand-up fights, etc.
Kenkokan technical Karate-do training
- Karate basics, Kata, Kumite, self-defense, throwing forms, etc.
- Stretching and cool down period before class ends.
Classes on Saturdays are held in the Beaconsfield gymnasium with over 1600 sq. feet of mat surface to train and grapple on. Thursday classes are held in the Teen Lounge, a huge matted double room near the gymnasium.
Just as important as the physical motions taught are the positive mental attitudes we emphasize during each class: respect for oneself, teacher and fellow students.
Our ‘Teen and Adult’ curriculum is well detailed and easy to follow.
You will begin as a ‘white belt.’ Session by session, you will learn sets of kicks, punches, Jiu-Jitsu grappling moves and ground fighting submissions. Class exercises and combative games will help you improve speed, precision and agility. Slowly, you will gain self-defense knowledge; develop self-confidence and mental discipline along with improving your cardio and aerobic capacity. Month by month, you will progress, be tested and move onto new skills.
All ‘teen and adult’ classes are taught by Sensei George Manoli and assisted by fellow Black Belt club members. Sensei Manoli holds a Black belt 7th Dan in Koshiki contact Karate, a 6th Dan in Kenkokan Karate and a 1st Dan in Kodokan Judo. He has a Bachelors degree in physical education and a level 2 National Coaching Certification.
He started his Karate training in 1973 under Grand master Masayuki Hisataka 9th Dan Karate, 6th Dan Kodokan Judo. Sensei Manoli has successfully represented Canada at three world Koshiki contact Karate Championships reaching the winner’s podium at all three events (Japan, Venezuela & Australia). In 2015, he received his black belt in Judo from the Quebec Judo Federation after 9 years of rigorous training.
|5 – 7 yrs old||5 – 6pm||8:30 – 9:50am|
|8 – 10 yrs old||6 – 7:10pm||9:30 – 10:55am|
|Teens and Adults (11+)||7:15 – 8:55pm||11:00am – 1:00pm|
Beaconsfield Recreation Centre
1974 City Lane, H9W 6B1
Tel.: (438) 392-4683
Plenty of parking spaces available for your convenience.
Clean, large, spacious, matted location for our training.
Our club also organizes & participates in:
- Inter-club Koshiki contact Karate & Jiu-jitsu grappling tournaments.
- Provincial Koshiki contact Karate tournaments in Toronto, Ottawa & Mirabel.
- Mini summer/winter Karate & Jiu-Jitsu training outside.
- ‘Street Smart’ simulation oriented workshops for our teen and adult club members.
- Women/Teens ‘hands-on’ simulation oriented, self-defense courses and workshops.
- Japanese weaponry classes: We cover traditional Japanese weapons such as the ‘Bo’ (long staff), the ‘Sai’s’ (3 pronged forks) and the Katana (Samurai sword). These special weaponry classes are open to all, but are only offered during one trimester a year.
Club philosophy & other pertinent information:
- We are a family oriented, fighting club. We strive to have fun, train hard and be respectful towards others while learning both stand-up and ground fighting.
- No white Karate or Judo uniform is initially required. Just wear loose comfortable clothing to start off your training with us.
- Two free try-out classes: You or your teenager have two (2) free try-out classes to decide if the program we offer at the Beaconsfield recreation center is what you are looking for.
- You can join our club at any time. We offer a continuous Karate/Jiu-Jitsu program for all levels.
- Classes are taught in both French and English.
- We can accommodate students with special needs, but parental assistance may be required.
- Plenty of parking spaces available for your convenience.
- Clean, large, spacious, matted location for our training (1600 sq. feet of mat space).
- At home training: private, 1-on-1, small group & family training sessions can be arranged at your convenience. Sensei Manoli tailors the Karate, simulation oriented self-defense, Judo or Jiu-Jitsu grappling program to your needs and objectives. He furnishes all the necessary equipment for each module (focus mitts, mats, shields, etc.).